Former Botswana Football Association (BFA) Regional Coordinator and Competitions Manager, Setete Phuthego is set to file a case before the court against the association over his suspension from football.
Phuthego was suspended alongside two (2) Township Rollers officials, Motshegetsi Mafa and Sidney Magagane over the registration status of Rollers left-back Onkarabile Ratanang.
The case which has been dragging for almost six months now appears to be far from coming to an end.
The BFA have filed an appeal to challenge the National Disciplinary Committee’s decision over the case to declare that defendants Township Rollers, have ‘NO case to answer’ on the 29th of July 2022.
The Disciplinary Committee of the BFL could only give Township Rollers a charge of P15 000.00, after accusations of misconduct.
In the midst of all these developments, Motshegetsi Mafa has been acquitted of any wrongdoing by the BFA whilst it has been reported that Magagane still have a case to answer.
For Phuthego, there has not been any engagements by the local football authorities according to close sources.
The former BFA administrator has reportedly written two letters to the association since his suspension as he seeks to be given a chance to defend himself against the accusations he is facing. | This publication has since gathered that Phuthego and his legal team met on Wednesday this week to discuss a way forward, and they have since agreed that court intervention could bring the ultimate solution to an standing impasse.
“There has been no developments on this matter, it has been frustrating and we feel the only way forward is to seek court intervention. I am weighing my options of getting justice because, justice delayed is justice denied,” Phuthego responded
The BFA have maintained that the ethics committee or the disciplinary committee are responsible for dealing with matters of this kind, but there are no clear guidelines regarding an individual who is outside the association structures.
This will be a third attempt by Phuthego’s camp who are ready to challenge the Maclean Letshwiti led administration before the courts of law in an attempt to clean up his name.
The BFA Chief Executive Officer, Mfolo Edwin Mfolo previously told this publication that Phuthego remains suspended and that the association is processing a formal communication to FIFA who will make a determinant over the matter.
Contacted for a comment on the latest developments of the case, Mfolo could not be reached as his phone rang unanswered before going for print.
Sources close to the developments suggests that, the BFA have not even proceeded with their intensions to write to FIFA ethics committee and as such, the expected response from the world football governing body will not be forthcoming any time soon.
On the 21st of July, when delivering their verdict on the matter, the BFL Disciplinary Committee highlighted that; “It is sufficient to record that there is a clearly a problem in the BFA office in terms of governance and adherence to controls, judging from what is alleged to have happened.
“Whilst the BFA junior officers claimed that they were directed by a superior officer to assist the accused, there has been nothing more placed before us to support the argument that Rollers who were no doubt the instigators, were the only party with dirt on their hands in this case, and for that reason the committee finds that the appropriate sanction should also pronounce that the respective office of the
BFA that facilitated the transgression was also remiss and complicit in their discharge of their functions,” part of the judgment read.
Phuthego has repeatedly insisted that he is innocent, claiming that he has no access to the players’ registration system at Lekidi offices.
The former BFA commander of the ground forces has also previously told BG Sport that, the suspension is a political move by the current regime to deny him a chance to challenge for presidency of the association in 2024 after he had expressed his interest to stand.